Take the first step to a career in the food services industry. Our 140 hour 厨房助理 program provides the skills you need to be a kitchen or food service helper and may be a step toward becoming a prep cook or enrolling in the Professional Cook program. Learn about the basic workings of a kitchen, 准备食物, 刀处理, 团队工作, sanitation processes and more. Successful students will receive Foodsafe水平 1, WHMIS certification.
在我们 140小时节目, you will learn about the basic workings of a kitchen including:
- Equipment recognition and use
- Cleaning and sanitation processes
- Receiving and storage practices
- Recipe execution and conversion
- Measuring, temperature taking and recording
- Fire safety, and what to do when faced with an incident or accident
沟通, 在团队中工作, and how to prioritize in a kitchen will also be covered, giving you the critical skills the restaurant and food service industries are seeking.
- 140小时节目 (70% practical and 30% theoretical)
- 这个项目是 delivered in class and in a kitchen workplace setting
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a bet356平台 成绩证书 和证书 Foodsafe水平 1, WHMIS.
Why Choose the 厨房助理 Program?
- 根据 British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2017 Edition, there will be an expected 14,560 job openings for kitchen helpers and food counter attendants between 2017-2027.
- There is great potential for growth in the food service industry. With experience and further training you might be able to move into a supervisory or management position.
- You can choose to work in a variety of different businesses including 餐厅, 酒吧, 酒店, resorts or even health care facilities.
For detailed class schedules including dates and times, please contact your nearest campus.
Personal and Professional Soft Skills
- Verbal, non-verbal and written communication
- Worksafe BC’s safety procedures in the kitchen
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points
- General safety prevention and emergencies in the kitchen
- Report and record emergencies and incidents
- Report and record store area temperatures, hazards, and equipment failures or concerns
Kitchen Cleaning Responsibilities
- 商业洗碗 equipment and preventative maintenance
- Correct storage of clean items
- Cleaning and sanitation in a kitchen environment
- Identification of basic equipment
- Description and function of equipment parts
- Correct use of basic equipment
- Equipment cleaning and preventative maintenance
- Basic 刀处理, sharpening, and correct use
- Washing, peeling, and basic cutting of vegetables and fruits
- Define basic cooking terminology
- Prepare ingredients for recipes
- 应用 appropriate portioning methods
- Receive and storage perishable & non-perishable goods as well as cleaning chemicals
- Maintain a clean and safe storage environment
- Inspect food items for quality
- Report and return item(s) that do not meet established standards
这个项目是 not currently eligible for student loan funding. If assistance is needed with tuition costs, you are encouraged to explore potential funding opportunities within your community. Some options might include:
收到你的 继续教育 – 成绩证书 in the 厨房助理 program, you may find excellent opportunities for employment in hotel kitchens, 餐厅, 机构, 和餐饮组织.
This may be a stepping stone to becoming a prep cook or challenging yourself to take the Professional Cook Program.